Sunday 9 March 2014

Hi

Hello there

I am going to have to think of more interesting titles for my posts incase I might want to find specific pictures in the future.

How annoying is this. I was very happily writing to you when Big D came home and I thought I should get up. I then helped unpack some stuff and listened to him notice that P had dirty knees from being outside and got distracted by P wanting help with making a playlist. I then ended up losing all my carefully written ramblings. I must learn to save as I go.

I'll do a bit of the rambling here but I think my window of time is running out.

I finished a face cloth which I made and later discovered reminds me of Roly Mo from The Fimbles because of the colours:




I liked my edging on this one which I did using a technique I learned from Attic 24s triple layered flower.

I made a chocolate cake which I was most pleased with and I now feel confident I could make a good birthday cake for one of the children. I'd just add more sweets:



D donated a packet of buttons from one of his selection boxes. I do worry about the lack of progress he's made with his selection boxes especially with Easter approaching. He hasn't requested assistance with the issue and doesn't usually. He normally just let's it sit in his room until it goes past the date and I have to chuck it.

The cake had a mixed reception. Everyone liked it but Big D said he preferred the Nigella cake I normally make. I was pleased because it's the first time I've sliced one down the middle to fill with buttercream. It was easier than I thought and makes for a much more easy on the eye cake.

These are my face cloths on the windowsill in the bathroom. I've enjoyed making something so useful.



I am no longer sitting in my recliner to write to you. I now am in the kitchen where I can smell my vase of daffodils which I think smell a bit wee like but the children didn't agree with me. Which is good. Must be just my imagination or my wee smells of flowers. Neither is a bad thing so I'll move on.

Big D is making (with mince) burgers for dinner. This is quite marvellous because he has had a burger cook book since before we got together and never made anything from it. I wonder what they will taste like. I thought there would have been egg involved to bind everything together but the recipe doesn't feature any. I was vegetarian for ten years and am still a bit reluctant to eat mince. I did request basil and he came home with some so am hoping mine will feature some of that.

I made two hearts for my scarf with its ever increasing collection of motifs. This one is from Cherry Heart:




It works up to be a good size even using a 2mm hook and thin yarn.

This one is from the Attic 24 blog:



Apologies for the photo. I just added two extra layers so that I could make it a bit bigger and use my three colours.

I had a try at making an Orla Keily flower using Attic 24s pattern but trying to start and end at the pointy end:






It didn't go as well in practice as it did in my head and I ran out of time. I was using a window of time I had while sitting in the car waiting for the time I needed to go and collect the children from school. I've not tried again since. I think I'd probably do a Lucy leaf but sew it on pointy end near the stem.

P played his first football match this year and won but only because the other team didn't show. The game they played was a friendly so they could get a game. They were beaten. It would be so brilliant if they could just win a match.

I took my blanket to my parent's house because I thought I might be able to get a ball of yarn for it. I didn't manage to and was met with much encouragement from my parents! One told me the children would have left home before I finished. The other told me I wouldn't live long enough to finish it! It hasn't put me off. I will continue to gradually buy yarn and add to it.

Mum has this in her kitchen and I took a photo of it to send to Big D. He works so hard and I do worry about him.



I made two more motifs for my scarf which I've yet to sew on:







I wouldn't normally bother to do any sort of blocking but, since I was ironing and thought of it, I put one on the ironing board with a tea towel over the top and steam ironed it. I was amazed at the difference it made. I will be doing this to all my future motifs.

Right, I'd better see what's happening with the children and crack on with something useful. I have an idea of something I want to try that's sure to be not very good but I have a strong urge to try. I want to have a go at making a nightdress for A. Just a practice to see what I can do with no pattern and an old duvet cover. In my mind, it will be surprisingly marvellous, in reality, it will be rubbish. I've been really enjoying the Sewing Bee and just want to have a go.

I just had a quick look on johnlewis.com for Mothers Day ideas. Am none the wiser and need more thinking time. I also should update my scrapbook wish list to increase my chances of getting something I would like. It worked very well at Christmas.

I've been using Pinterest. I didn't think I would like it as I have an app I really like that keeps track of my craft and other ideas but I actually really like it and have used it more than I thought I would. I've just created a 'gift ideas for mum' board which is very useful. I'm still thinking but Pinterest provides a great place for me to keep track of my ideas and remember where they came from.

The above was written on Saturday and it's now Sunday. The burgers were very tasty and he made sauté potatoes to accompany them. The potatoes were my favourite. They were really yummy.

The children are outside again and I can hear the hose. P seems to very much enjoy the new spray gun attachment we have. A is playing on our picnic blanket with her dolls house. It is a lovely sunny day. A day when I ought to be making a start on my garden tidying but it's nice to be on my bottom. A and I have been to the shop on scooters which was much fun. I had to scooter in front of her and say "loser" then she would reply "not for long" and whizz past me. I had to repeat this several times. She is visually impaired and there was one scary bit where I thought she was about to hit a lampost but she didn't and cleverly suggested that where it was narrow we shouldn't go next to each other. Scootering is quite hard on the thighs so that's a bit of exercise done. Before that we had spent sometime hanging about in bed together looking out the window and eating scrambled eggs on bagels. It was lovely and relaxing. We saw what I think was a goldfinch outside the window perched on a tree. I had her binoculars and really wanted her to see it but she couldn't manage to find it with them. She needs to practice using them and I thought this was a great opportunity.

P and Big D went to play football with his brothers. P played really well which is great to know. I love it when he fits in as an equal. He has great skill but lacks confidence so things like this are really helpful.

I spent the rest of my morning completing a Lego rebuild. There is still much that needs rebuilding but it's very time consuming.

Right, what should I do now. Start my nightie making, read, crochet, visit my shed and marvel at how it got so dreadfully messy, tidy something? Lots of options.

Brilliant football on tv - what a treat!

Hope you have had and are having a brilliant weekend. If you are in the UK I hope you have sunshine. I have my arms out which is most lovely.

Sally
X

No comments:

Post a Comment