Monday 10 March 2014

I did it! I made a nightie!

How's that for a title? Much better I think.

Welcome to a tale of nightie making. A likes to sleep in a nightie. She's not a pyjama person. Fuelled by the excitement of The Great British Sewing Bee, I really wanted to have a go making a nightie for her because I thought it would be nice for her to have an ankle length one.

I had an old duvet cover I saved in the hope I'd one day do something useful with it. I lay it out with a nightie that I knew fitted her on top and drew around it with a fancy pen I have:



I measured to work out how long it should be. Then started cutting. I did two bits like this drawing on a neck shape I thought would work.

Then it was sleeve time. I used the sleeves of the existing nightie to make these:



The two halves of a leaf on the left of the picture weren't right so I redid that:



I've written "front" and "back" so I don't get confused and "1" or "2" on the sleeve bits to make sure I match up the right bits.

Then I had an idea to look at a blog I enjoy reading and decided a change of plan for the sleeves would make things easier and make for a better finished look. The blog I'm referring to is Tilly and the Buttons and she's just published a pattern for a top she calls 'Coco'. I thought looking through her helpful posts would make the nightie less of a disaster. I had the basic bits of fabric that looked the same:



I followed her steps to put my four bits of fabric together and actually managed to do it:



It took me hours but went surprisingly well. I really enjoyed making it and feel a great sense of achievement. A is wearing it now.

Her feedback? She was generous this time and said she loves it. She did request a heart on the front though. It's easier for her if she can see which is the front.

I made the nightie yesterday, Sunday, and sewed the heart on the front today. I used a bit of the quilt cover that was embroidered. I then washed it, ironed it and left it to dry. The pen came out and it ended up looking like this:



The heart is a bit off centre but I was too impatient to think to line it up accurately.

Needless to say, I am really pleased. Seeing my daughter wearing something I've made is a lovely feeling.

P needs new pyjama bottoms but that would involve a fabric purchase which would possibly only be slightly cheaper than buying some new ones so I'm not sure if I would attempt that. Would be good to make something for him too though.

On another subject, I ironed my scarf today and laid it out in the living room. It was tricky to get a decent photo but this might give you an idea how long it is:



Here's a couple of other photos:





I made a Happy Flower Decoration for it. The pattern is from the Attic 24 blog:



What have you managed to make that you didn't think you could?

Ten minutes to go till its time for me to put the children to bed. Better go, bye.

Sally
X

No comments:

Post a Comment