Saturday 8 February 2014

Making things

Hello there. How are you?

I asked to be woken up this morning by my daughter when she for up. It was just after six. I wanted to finish something and needed her neck and wanted to try out a method for poaching eggs that's on the Attic 24 blog.

The eggs were delicious.

Remember I showed you a work in progress with the Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino that was destined for a hexagon cushion? I decided that my daughter's chilly neck was a more worthwhile cause and made her a Neckwarmer. I crocheted it in the round joining each row and stepping up, as we say in beaweaving, for the start of the next row. It was very enjoyable and quick to make. I added my favourite Attic 24 triple layer flower and was very pleased with the result...





...until my daughter put it on and I realised that, although it went over her head and looked very nice it didn't keep her neck warm. It was too far away from her neck. So I had another go:







I used the Attic 24 ripple pattern (can you tell I'm an Attic 24 fan!). This pattern is lovely and the resulting - insert what you are making (I wanted to say "fabric" but that's not the right word) - is lovely.

I wanted to get up early this morning with my daughter so I could finish it. I needed to make sure it was a good, snug fit for it to keep her warm. It looks like this flat:






And fits her very well. It took me a little while to get the button hole size and stitches around it right but I did it and am so pleased with the result.

I have a big tub of buttons and had never noticed this one before. Isn't it lovely.

I'm still working on my Valentine's Day things which I've not photographed yet. I have a few finished and some left to do. I have to do it sneakily because I want it to be a surprise.

In other news I visited a lovely little charity shop by school yesterday to get some pots to put my boring black pots into. I planted some seeds yesterday for my windowsill in front of the sink and liked the idea that I might gradually see little plants emerging over the next few months. I planted poppies, cornflower, tomatoes and something else I can't remember. Unfortunately, I was so pleased with myself I forgot to label the pots so it will be a surprise to see what comes out.

Want to see the pots I bought? Here you go:

I thought this one was very sweet and old fashioned.





I liked the colour and style of this one. Unfortunately it is an actual pot with a hole in the bottom but that should be ok I think.





I loved this mug. I think it's my favourite. My daughter loves learning French and D will often say "Bonjour" to us so it felt very special to find this.





I liked the colour of this one. It's actually a kind of blue colour which it doesn't look in this photo - weird.





This cup is also on the windowsill. I've had it a very long time and love the boldness and brightness of the decoration.











This is the windowsill:






Bit dark but you can vaguely see what's there. That lovely blue shed in the distance is where I make my beads. I love being out there attempting to create lovely works of art. It's a right state in there and I am not exaggerating. It's got into an embarrassing mess. This is a tricky one for me because a while ago someone broke into it which upset me very much. Nothing was taken but this shed was my sanctuary where I would hide from the housework and demands of children. It was my haven. To one day see the door swinging about and discover it had been broken into was very upsetting. The advantage of it being such a state is that you would now open the door and fear for your life if you were to try entering. There's a massive bottle of propane, glass rods all over the place some of them very lethal looking because they have been made into tall, sharp stringers, and just general stuff to fall over. If anyone but me tried to get in there they would definately be leaving some DNA behind this time.

Anyway, sorry for that bit of a sidetrack.

Have you seen this before?







I've never ever seen this before. Two flowers from one stem. I thought it quite unique until the mum of my daughter's best friend told me her's had done the same thing.

Sally
X


I've just posted a photo on my Flickr account and belated realised that my brilliant button is a ripple button! How could I not have realised how brilliant that is. I've sewn the button on the wrong way round. I might resew it. I'll try to work out if it's worth it. Can't believe my ripple neck warmer has a ripple button!

No comments:

Post a Comment