Friday 14 February 2014

Happy Valentine's Day

This is what I made for my family to wish them a Happy Valentine's Day:



I made one each. My daughter's current favourite colour is turquoise, my son's is orange and my stepson's is yellow. I was disappointed that I couldn't find a nice bright yellow cotton yarn. I used Rowan Cotton Glacé. I really like this yarn and it comes in some great colours. I popped into John Lewis today and saw that they've had a lovely restock and must have all the colours now I think.


To make these little pouches I used 3.25mm hook. I used the pattern Lucy of Attic 24 has for the base of her yarn bag. I only realised when I put them all together that the first one I made (top right) I put an extra round in as if starting to increase the side of the bag - same number of stitches as the previous round - I think it makes it look better and would have done all of them this way if I'd remembered I'd done that!


Once I'd made two circles I double crocheted them together leaving a gap then turned the whole thing inside out. The heart is again a Lucy pattern and happens (as my son told me this evening) to be the exact same size as the pink chocolate hearts I bought to go inside.

I'm so pleased with how these turned out. It felt good to use my crochet skills to do something nice for my family.

I finished this wash cloth yesterday:




It's Rowan Cotton Glacé on a 3.25mm hook and edged with DMC Petra Number 5. I put two double crochet stitches in each stitch which has made it go a bit higgledy piggledy.

I was in John Lewis today to treat myself to a ball of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. I was picking a colour to start my ripple blanket. I can't justify buying a load of yarn at the same time so my plan is to buy a ball each time I go into town and work on my blanket gradually as I pick up new yarn. I'll have other bits on the go in the background. I like having something to do instead of snacking in the evenings. I am still making flowers to add to my scarf and still working on granny squares of Noro for another scarf I'm making. I like scarves!

When I got home with my new ball I had a look at the other colours I have bits of and realised I have enough to get cracking on a blanket. This is very exciting for me. It's very chilly at the moment and the thought of getting started on a blanket makes me feel snuggly.




I've also started on another wash cloth. I want to have a nice collection of them.


My daughter came home with this today:



They have been learning about drawing people and I'm really impressed by this. She is a very talented drawer. I love the pictures she does.

This week I made a blueberry and lime cake in my slow cooker. It looks rubbish but was very moist and tasty. D and I really liked it. My son accused me of trying to poison him and my daughter refused to even try it!








I hope that if you are reading this you are safe and dry.

Sally
X

No comments:

Post a Comment